Mach III combination clutch brakes provide both clutch and brake functions in one simple to install unit. Applying air pressure releases the spring applied friction brake and engages the friction clutch allowing power to be transmitted from a source, such as a continuously rotating motor, to a machine component, such as a shaft. Clutch torque is linear in response to air pressure applied. Brake torque is a fixed value.
Types of Clutch Brakes Available from Mach III
- Stop & Start the Shaft Clutch Brakes
Stop & Start the Shaft clutch-brakes connect a pilot mounted sprocket or pulley mounted to a continuous drive. When the clutch is engaged, the shaft on which the unit is mounted will be driven. The shaft will be held stationary when the brake is engaged.
- Stop & Start the Pilot Clutch Brakes
Stop & Start the Pilot clutch-brakes connect a continuously driven shaft to a pilot mounted sprocket or pulley. When the clutch is engaged, a sprocket or pulley mounted on the pilot of the unit will be driven. The sprocket or pulley will be held stationary when the brake is engaged.
- Stop & Start the Output Shaft Clutch Brakes
NEMA Frame clutch-brakes connect a continuously driven input shaft (from a motor) to another machine component. When the clutch is engaged, the integral output shaft is driven. The output shaft is held stationary when the brake is engaged.
Mounting Options for Mach III Clutch Brakes
- Through Shaft/End of Shaft Clutch Brakes
Mounts on the shaft and are connect to a pilot mounted sprocket or pulley
- Through Shaft/End of Shaft Integral Double Single Sprocket Clutch Brakes
Mounts on the shaft and connect to daisy chained sprockets
- NEMA Frame Clutch Brakes
Mounts between a c-face motor and gear reducer, or mount to motor with a pulley or sprocket on the output shaft
Mach III Clutch Brake Features
- Single air inlet engages clutch, brake engaged by spring pressure when air is exhausted
- Specifiable bore sizes up to the maximum shown for each clutch brake (US & Metric) for easy installation
- Soft start clutch engagement
- Required pulleys, sprockets and v-belt sheaves can be installed on any clutch brake at the factory